Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Faux Chenille Scarf

I made something I'd never made before on Christmas Eve.  I needed one more gift - for my nephew's fiancee - so I made her a faux chenille scarf out of flannel.  I was so pleased with how it turned out.  Tutorial here:  http://www.imfulr.net/chenillescarves .  You use 2 yards of woven (pattern is same on back as on front - not printed on front and white on back) - cut 7 inch strips on the bias - piece together where needed.  Stack 5 layers on top of each other - and sew the length of the scarf - every 1/2 inch.  I think I ended up with 13 lines of stitches.  I just scissor trimmed the sides - did'n't bother to use the rotary cutter and ruler.  Then you cut the top 2 layers inbetween stitches - turn over and cut the top 2 layers again.  Can't cut the middle layer - or the scarf will fall apart.  I fringed the ends by cutting through that middle layer 4 inches up on every cutting line  It doesn't look like much until you throw it into a hot washer and hot dryer.  It fluffs up like chenille.  They say the more you wash and dry it - the softer and fluffier it becomes.  Now I need to make one for myself!



No comments:

Post a Comment